Dough-not miss out on our CBD Drizzle Doughnuts this National Doughnut Day
The first Friday of June is annually celebrated as National Doughnut Day, or Donut Day in the US. We wanted to celebrate by creating and sharing a CBD drizzle doughnut recipe!
There are two ways to do this. Buy some donuts and add your CBD glaze or really go for it and make the entire batch (makes about 12 doughnuts).
¼ cup margarine (50g) (dairy-free works just fine)
½ cup milk (120 mL) (soy milk works just as well!)
2 tablespoons sunflower oil, plus extra for frying
2 cups plain flour (250g)
1/4 cup caster sugar (50g)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
CBD Drizzle Glaze
200g powdered sugar (sifted)
2-3 Tbsp double cream (plant-based alternatives work but the amount may differ slightly. Add in gradually)
1-2 droppers of CBD oil
- Gently melt the butter over a low-medium heat. Add milk and two tablespoons of sunflower oil and mix together.
- Once combined, take off the heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, the sugar, baking powder and salt with a fork.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the butter mixture. Combine gradually until a thick dough forms.
- Using your hands, roll dough into little flat balls and with your thumb and press a hole in the centre of each doughnut. (You may need to flour your hands for this part to avoid getting sticky!)
- Heat up oil in a pan. To know when it’s hot enough, fry a little bit of bread in the oil. If it goes brown and floats to the top, in 45-50 seconds the oil will be ready!
- Gently lay the doughnuts into the oil using a spatula. Fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Transfer the doughnuts onto some tissue paper to soak up any excess oil.
- Place the powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Add the cream a Tbsp at a time, until you have a thick glaze – you want something that just runs off your spoon.
- Add the CBD oil and stir.
- Dip the doughnuts in the glaze, allowing any excess to drip off, before placing on a wire rack and leave to allow the glaze to set.
They are best eaten on the day they have been made, so what are you waiting for? Go and dunk those doughnuts in a CBD tea and enjoy!